Saturday, January 27, 2007

Tell It Like It Is, %&$*#!!!!

Tom and Jerry used to hit the peace pipe til they eyes turned red...
Popeye and Bluto were two of the most violent men on this earth...
Betty Boop was a freak wit too much body and too little dress who could toot it like a pro...
Bugs Bunny cross-dressed on more than a few occasions...
Ernie and Bert... Hmm... Liked each other so much they slept in the same room...
He-Man and She-Ra were on some chauvanism and feminism out this world...
Transformers used to gangfight...
G.I. Joe was tryna get us to join the military...
Barbie... married Ken like... this year I think...
Shaggy was a hippie... Fred and Daphne disappeared all the time...


But here's the thing: I think I speak for everybody in my age bracket when I say that, when we were kids, we didn't give a flying fudge-fingerolled fig newton frank about it! Nope!

I don't get it people. What don't I get? It's not the fact that we saw all these things and didn't care about 'em that boggles me. It's the fact that, now that we're older, we DO care about 'em! It's amazing that somehow we get more and more sensitive as we go thru life. Meanwhile, we worry about what kids are exposed to, as if they reeeally care, lol.

Don't get me wrong, there's certain things a kid shouldn't see; I'm not discussing that exactly. But what I am discussing is a thorn in my side called political correctness and the like.

I'ma tell ya like this: the things that didn't bother me when I was a kid... they don't bother me now either. I'm trying to understand the process by which people go from being oblivious to something to being overly sensitive about the same thing. I mean, it's one thing if something new is introduced that may be harmful. But I think sometimes we MAKE things harmful by consciously making a big deal about... hold on. I got an example for ya.

When Janet Jackson's tittie (lol, I said 'tittie') popped out at the Superbowl, I'm gonna be honest with you: I was a little shocked, but overall, I figured it was no different than your average bra-less MTV chick 'busting' out of her shirt. Granted, the Superbowl is definitely not the place for a peepshow, but I had pretty much forgotten about it in a few hours.

But guess what? It didn't stay forgotten for long! Because the next day... the next week... the next month... people kept replaying the scene, making more and more commentary, more and more expressing their disgust and angst at the situation. But when I took a step back... I think they actually made things worse. I mean, if you have a kid, and they see something they shouldn't, it's easy to convince them they didn't see anything if they only saw it once for a split-second; but the bigger the issue you make of it in the aftermath, the MORE they're going to see and hear about it. Is it worth the exposure?

People don't seem to realize it off the bat, but press is press. Good press is press; bad press is still press. So when people get bent outta shape about situations, they're really just making a photo-op for the very thing they're trying to suppress. It's like the bad kid in class; sometimes that kid acts out just because he knows he can get a rise outta the teacher, and if the teacher goes for it, the kid wins, regardless of his punishment.

Step back.

I understand that as you grow, you learn the significance of things and they take on new meaning. No problem with that. But lemme ask you somethin; say you're a kid and you're exposed to what we were exposed to; but it didn't corrupt us. What sense does it make to get older and make a beef about it? I mean, you can't say it's a threat to kids because you're living proof that reality and fantasy are pretty... different. Are you afraid of ADULTS falling victim to influence?

Now, I'm not talking about extremities here; of course I'm not gonna let my kids listen to 50 Cent (ladies, don't panic; I don't have any kids, lol). But it's the hair-splitting stuff that kills me. Stuff like people getting mad if you call them Black instead of African-American. "I didn't come from a color; I came from a country." So... somebody, maybe you yourself, thought you came from a color beforehand? And Africa's not a country; it's a continent.

And like when we censor ourselves. I mean, think about it... Why do we blot out words when we know what it is? Not in music or television mind you, because of course you have kids around and such... But real talk. Sh!t. Do you not know what that word is just because I put an exclamation point in place of the 'i'? So, what's the point of putting it there? Shame on me.

Man, sometimes it's like we're so gung-ho about political correctness that we actually create problems. But that's America for ya; built on "Christian" principles, but don't voice or stand for any of those ideals for fear of upsetting people. And speaking of religion, I'll take a note from Taoism that I've always held on to because it's so true: sometimes laws are broken because laws are created. Creating a boundary sometimes just dares people to cross it.

Sometimes we do things like creating laws to meet a legitimate need; sometimes we do that sh!t just to make it hard for ourselves. We create these meaningless norms just to have something to gripe about and, usually, to totally miss the point of something much greater. Denominations of Christianity, perfect example. Whole congregations splitting into new churches because of differences in doctrines, which (surprise) usually have nothing to do with Jesus.

Dude, one of the first blogs I ever wrote was about the late, great Reggie White and how this great man had to apologize for--- get this--- saying that different races contributed different things to world society. Political correctness is so deep that you can't even complement a race for a proven contribution its made for fear of stereotyping. Picture me getting mad because somebody of another race called Black folks soulful. 'Doesn't mean we all are, but enough of us are that I'd consider that a fair statement. Definitely not something to get mad about. But some of us will.

...OH OH OH!! GOTTA MENTION THIS!! U WANNA SEE PC IN ACTION...

Isaish Washington--- I know you've heard this--- is in trouble because he didn't call somebody a faggot. You heard right. The exact statement he made: "I did not call _____ a faggot." <---And that's what he's in trouble for saying. So, he didn't actually call anybody a faggot; he simply said he DIDN'T call anybody a faggot. And now he's in trouble?

C'mon... Be farreal. I did not blow the levees in New Orleans. I did not train Osama Bin Laden. I did not topple somebody else's government. I did not steal the election. I did not leave any child behind.


Come Incorrect for Once... B-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions