Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Christmas Series: Christmas in Love

It's a chilly night outside right now, but people are out and about nonetheless, bit-by-bit shopping for the special people in their lives. Traffic is a little heavier than most times, and so are the coats and the jackets. The Salvation Army is posted outside of the stores, ringing bells to help us remember those in need. Secret Santa is running rampant at places of employment. Kids are counting down the days with great anticipation as relatives are making plans to travel long distances to see loved ones. Huge trees are dazzling from trunk to tip with a full spectrum of dancing color and light.

The radio stations are starting to pull out the old favorites: "Gee Wiz, It's Christmas" by Carla Thomas; "Silent Night" by the Temptations; "This Christmas" by Donnie Hathaway; "What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas" by the Emotions; "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by the Jackson 5; even "Christmas with Boomshequa" by the 69 Boyz, lol. Wanna know what I'm listening to right now? I'm listening to "Kiss of Life" by Sade. And, even though it has nothing to do with the holiday season, it feels no less Christmassy than those other songs. At least, to me it doesn't.

'Know why? Well... It's because I believe Christmas might be the most romantic time of year there is; I dare say even more romantic than Valentine's Day. When Christmas rolls around, we always think about the gifts and the family... hopefully Jesus too. But no one ever thinks about romance, at least not as a foremost thought. But look around, ya'll. Just go out riding once the sun sets during Christmas season. Downtown Augusta is lit up fantasy style; the malls and department stores are bustling with so many couples; the air is cold and just right for snuggling. All the red decoration... it's not a very far cry from the red that appears in February when you think about it. I dunno; I'm single right now, and I walk around and see these things. And it just doesn't feel like the season is meant to be enjoyed alone. But anyway...

Then there's my favorite imagery: snow! Me being from the South, I don't know much about a White Christmas and all; 'seen the most snow in my life over the last 2-3 years. But every year, I really do hope it happens; I hope that snow falls and falls outta nowhere on Christmas Day. And not just on Christmas Day, but throughout the season. Because snow is one of those things that brings it's own magic with it; kinda like that atmospheric mystique that Sade is so known to create with her music and her persona.

It's funny: when we think about love, we tend to think about warm things. But to me, snow is just as romantic. I mean, have you ever wondered what it would be like to kiss in the snow? "Let's rub noses like the eskimoses" lol. (I have no idea where I heard that corny song... but wouldn't it be dope to try it?) And of course there's the snowball fights and other activities that couples can enjoy together. Something about the nipping cold of a snowflake on your face seems to carry a romantic sentiment. At least to me.

The Christmas holiday season is also perfect for romance because it's when you see people start to take life less seriously... actually, lemme rephrase that. It's when you see people start to take life MORE seriously, as in spend more time being human and less time being corporate machines. It's the perfect time for an office romance to spark; and maybe your iced-over grinch supervisor might find enough warmth in his/her heart to look the other way, or even crack a smile at the thought.

And dating during the holiday season must be a wonderful thing, right? Think about all the attractions during the holidays: the Christmas productions available at the theatre, like The Nutcracker; the holiday music playing on the radio and in the stores; and, speaking of stores, shopping together and watching children about to explode with wonder (brothas, you holding the bags while your lady walks you to death, lol); the Christmas movies old and new; the Winter Wonderland displays... When it's all said and done, you're two icicles dying to come out of the cold...

That's when the night really gets special; when you and your love return to a cozy spot, peel off the hefty layers, and become two chestnuts roasting by the fireplace. Maybe you find yourselves sitting on a rug and wrapping presents together; maybe you end up curled on the couch, sipping hot cocoa and watching Christmas specials. And there's always the mistletoe for a quick thaw...

Then comes the big day. All the anticipation leads up to this day, and the arrival is a wonderful feeling to share with someone you love. It's fun buying a present for your love interest weeks ahead of time and not letting them open it until the day of. But when they finally do open it, it's even better than the wait, lol. Christmas is a great time for people in love to spend time with each other's families. And the sounds and smells of houses on Christmas Day (especially if you or you wife/girlfriend can actually cook!)...nothing like it. Definitely good for creating memories.

Christmas in Love... And I promise, all this came to me one evening just a few days ago as I turned onto my street playing the same Sade song. It really put me in the spirit of the season in a way I had never been before. 'Got me to thinking tho... about someone I went Christmas shopping with once. I declare I go to thinking about her every holiday season... but that's for another time, lol.

"What Do the Lonely Do..." (Eat for 2) B-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions