Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Short Poem

Small men belittle.




*Explanation - A man once told me, "the essence of poetry is saying as much as you can in as few words as possible". Every poem, whether it is long or short, does this in some form or fashion. I hold tightly to that precedent... sometimes so much so that I do poems of only one or two lines. This is my shortest poem to date; what makes it a poem are the multiple meanings that can be extracted from the three or four words:

1. Short men compensate their shortness by being intimidating to others.
2. Unmanly men hide their insecurities by tearing others down.
3. Small men are, literally, little (be-little).

If you include the title, you can extract even more meaning. The word "short" can describe length, but it can also describe demeanor. I wrote this in response to someone who attempted to belittle me, so I mean the word "short" in the latter sense: I'm getting short to be on the same level with this small man who attempted to belittle me.



Can You Believe It! SIX WORDS! B-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions